MN Dept. of Agriculture Seeks Bacteriology Laboratory Specialist
Bacteriology Laboratory Specialist
This lead worker position will perform routine and complex bacteriological and physical analyses on samples submitted by all laboratory services clientele using established analytical methods for the Microbiology Unit with a strong focus on providing the laboratory with biosafety level 3 expertise. The results of these analyses are used: in food safety and food defense monitoring activities, for certification of products, as evidence in mediation disputes, and as legal evidence for regulatory activities in enforcement of and compliance with state statutes. This position will work on special projects including grant projects, collaborative studies and method validation activities within the department or with outside agencies to validate and establish new technologies within the microbiology laboratory when requested by the supervisor or management team. This position is involved as an equal partner in staffing for rotational weekend and holiday schedules. This position will also assist in media preparation, sample preparation, dishwashing, and other supportive laboratory activities.
To facilitate proper years of service crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in the areas listed and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held.
A Bachelor's Degree in Microbiology or related field and three (3) years working in a microbiology laboratory. A Master's Degree in Microbiology or relate field may substitute for one (1) year of experience.
- Possess an excellent understanding of the principles of microbiology under biosafety level 3 conditions.
- Knowledge of sample handling and analytical methods employed within the microbiology unit including aseptic technique and general microbiological procedures.
- Possess good interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of computer and analytical software programs.
- The ability to interpret and follow complex oral and written directions, formulas and procedures.
- The ability to evaluate equipment, media and quality control parameter performance in order to determine the suitability of data.
- The ability to plan ahead, manage time and be creative in improving work processes.
- The ability to celebrate diversity and a strong commitment to a respectful and inclusive work environment.
- The preferred candidate has experience working in an ISO 17025 accredited microbiology laboratory.
- Experience working with select agents.
This position exists in an analytical laboratory. As such, all potential safety hazards associated with this type of environment are assumed to be present. Hazards such as chemical exposure, hot surfaces, compressed gases and mechanical hazards exist in this section. This position must be comfortable working around these hazards and have sufficient knowledge to recognize and prevent harm to themselves or others. This position must be able to function in this environment and must be comfortable wearing personal protective gear. The complete position description is available here.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply to the MN Careers website http://www.mn.gov/careers Job ID 56292.
If you are unable to apply online, please contact the job information line at 651.259.3637.
· Closing Date: 06/24/2022
· Salary Range: $24.63 - $36.12/hourly; $51,427 - $75,418/annual
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER