Oregon State University seeks Professor
Posted on March 24, 2023
This is a tenured position at the rank of Associate or Full Professor depending on qualifications of the successful applicant. This faculty member develops and implements an internationally recognized undergraduate teaching and applied research program in sustainable urban landscape design, installation, and maintenance. They will work in collaboration with faculty, government agencies, and industry representatives to research and identify environmentally and economically sustainable landscapes, plants, and maintenance practices for use in the urban environment. The research program will inform the undergraduate program, and vice versa. The incumbent will teach or contribute to 4 to 5 courses within the undergraduate option ‘Ecological Management of Turf, Landscape, and Urban Horticulture’. They will collaborate with colleagues at Oregon State University, and other professional colleagues, industry leaders, and practitioners in Oregon, the western region, and United States.
50% Teaching and Advising
Develop an undergraduate curriculum based on active learning and innovative teaching strategies that promotes student engagement with the landscape profession, associated industries, and other organizations in ways that expand OSU’s reach in Oregon and beyond.
25% Applied Research and Outreach
Develop an exemplary applied research program supported by extramural funding. Work in collaboration with faculty, government agencies, and industry representatives to identify research priorities related to economic and environmentally sustainable landscape development and management practices, in the broadest sense. Some topics may include, but are not limited to, design and maintenance of stormwater remediation facilities; plant selection to reduce management inputs and promote ecosystem services; design, installation, and maintenance of pollinator plants and gardens; identifying low input turfgrass and turfgrass alternatives; alternatives to traditional fossil fuel power equipment (e.g., propane, battery, solar power, bio-diesel); and landscape water conservation design, technology, and management practices.
Communicate and validate scholarship applicable to sustainable urban landscapes through peer-refereed and reviewed publications, books, electronic media, and presentations at scientific meetings and conferences.
Participate actively in the department’s undergraduate curriculum committee.
- Ph.D. degree in Horticulture or closely related field at the time of appointment.
- Expertise in sustainable urban landscape design, installation, and/or maintenance.
- Commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrable commitment to excellence in teaching.
- Strong record of sustained extramural funding and publication in aspects of landscape design, installation, and/or maintenance.
- Successful record of working with industry in terms of partnerships, collaborations, sponsored programs, or in other ways.
- Proven oral and written communication skills.
- Candidate should meet the OSU teaching, advising, research and service criteria for appointment at the desired rank, Associate Professor or Full Professor (see the OSU Faculty Handbook for details).
-For individuals seeking the rank of Full Professor: Candidate should meet the OSU teaching, research, and service criteria for appointment at the desired rank (see the OSU Faculty Handbook for details). OSU will consider previous years of experience at other, similar institutions towards timelines for rank or tenure promotions.
- Record of/commitment to working with underrepresented/underserved students or other audiences.
- Demonstrable commitment to mentoring undergraduate and graduate students.
- Life experience, education, or training that broadens capacity to equalize student success or impact to historically underserved audiences.
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A resume/CV; and
2) A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
3) Statement of Research
4) Statement of Teaching
5) Diversity Statement that articulates how you have demonstrated a commitment to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion during your career.
You will also be required to submit the names of at least three professional references, their e-mail addresses and telephone numbers as part of the application process.
For additional information please contact: Gail Langellotto at email@example.com