University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources (UCANR) seeks a Rice Farming Systems Advisor
Posted on May 26, 2023
Rice Farming Systems Advisor
The Rice Farming Systems Advisor will implement an effective extension education and applied research program to address issues related to sustainably optimizing rice farming systems in Colusa and Yolo Counties.
This position offers the opportunity to address production issues and matters relating to the interface between agriculture and natural ecosystems, especially regarding water. Some of the major challenges facing the rice industry include pest management, in particular introduced and emerging pests increasing herbicide resistance
water management relative to crop production and weed control water quality and conservation
and rising production costs.
The Rice Farming Systems Advisor will be expected to become familiar with all aspects of California rice production and actively conduct applied research in select areas based on a needs assessment.
Education: A minimum of a Master’s degree in plant sciences, agronomy, pest management, or related field is required at the time of appointment.
• Technical competency in research and extension techniques.
• Expertise working with rice cultures and/or other cereal crops.
• Ability and means to travel on a flexible schedule as needed, proof of liability and property damage insurance on vehicle used is required. Must possess valid California Driver’s License to drive a County or
• The ability to work with clientele across a wide range of socio-economic classes and ethnicities is essential.
• The CE Advisor must possess or obtain within one year a Qualified Pesticide Applicator Certificate (QAC) or License (QAL) prior to applying or supervising the application of any pesticide.
• This is not a remote position. The candidate must be available to work onsite.
• Interest in and a desire to pursue a career in Cooperative Extension.
• Experience in education and outreach.
• Experience in building partnerships and working in/with multidisciplinary teams.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively plan projects, manage teams and implement an applied research and outreach program, including setting measurable goals and objectives.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: The salary range for this Cooperative Extension Advisor position is Assistant Rank, Step I ($71,200) to Step VI ($94,000). Step placement in the advisor series is based on applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding Cooperative Extension Advisor salary scales, please refer to the University of California website: https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/358478.pdf. If the successful candidate is currently a UCCE Advisor, the candidate will be offered the position without change to the candidate’s current rank, step, salary and/or appointment terms
and if applicable, is eligible to retain indefinite status.
Benefits: The University of California offers comprehensive benefits including health insurance, retirement plans, two days per month paid vacation, one day per month paid sick leave, and paid holidays. This position is eligible for sabbatical leave privileges as per the terms of the University policy. For more information, refer to the UC Benefits website at: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/4210271
Closing Date: July 12, 2023 (open until filled)
Contact Mikyla Perez