University of Connecticut Seeks Director of the Office of Sustainability
Posted on August 2, 2022
Director of the Office of Sustainability (University Staff Professional 2)
The Institute of the Environment seeks a strategic administrator and effective Director of the Office of Sustainability at the University of Connecticut, who will leverage our institutional reputation in sustainability to further advance our national and international leadership in sustainability and the environment.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Institute of the Environment, the Director advocates for sustainable decision-making across diverse units at the University. From an administrative position, the Director manages a modest staff of professionals and students, and oversees fiscal operations of the Office. Learn more about the Office of Sustainability by visiting our website: https://sustainability.uconn.edu/.
1. Advanced degree (e.g., MS, MA, MBA, or equivalent) in a sustainability discipline or related field, and at least 5 years of leadership experience in the context of a sustainability-focused enterprise.
2. A demonstrated ability to lead, collaborate, and engage stakeholders in the development, planning, and implementation of strategic initiatives with respect to sustainability programming from academic or operations perspectives.
3. Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), particularly as it pertains to the intersection of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) with sustainability.
4. Management experience regarding supervision of professional staff members or students, managing change, resolving conflict, and building consensus.
5. Record of successful solicitation of extramural support for sustainability-related initiatives.
1. Advanced degree (e.g., Ph.D., J.D.) in a sustainability discipline or related field.
2. Three to five years of leadership experience in a higher education setting.
3. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to a diverse organization, especially with regard to programmatic needs, plans, and strategies.
4. Advanced knowledge of current sustainability concepts, issues, trends, and best practices in an operations/facilities or academic context.
5. Demonstrated business acumen in allocating resources and managing budgets.
6. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and balance the needs of diverse staff members and stakeholders.
FOR FULL DETAILS AND TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496226 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Evaluation of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Please direct questions about this position opening to Ashley Helton (firstname.lastname@example.org), Deputy Director of the Institute of the Environment.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.