Wildlands Engineering Seeks AutoCAD Technician/Civil Designer
Posted on November 21, 2022
AutoCAD Technician / Civil Designer
Wildlands Engineering is seeking an individual with a passion for environmental restoration to join our growing company in Asheville, NC or Knoxville, TN. Positions may be filled in one or both offices – please specify preferred location within your cover letter. The advertised position is a full-time, in office position but other arrangements may be considered. Candidates should have a background in drafting and design (preferably in water resources) and be proficient using AutoCAD Civil 3D. Key responsibilities and desired qualifications are provided below. Projects include a diversity of ecosystem restoration and water resource engineering and may include design of streams, wetlands, and watershed improvements
dam removal and aquatic organism passage
hydrologic and hydraulic models
flood resiliency planning and design
and/or watershed planning and retrofit stormwater best management practices (BMPs). This position may require occasional travel and outdoor field work for candidates that have experience with construction management.
Wildlands Engineering, Inc. was founded in 2007 and focuses on stream and wetland restoration, watershed planning and assessment, and water quality management. With offices in North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Virginia, Wildlands Engineering provides water resources engineering, ecosystem restoration, mitigation banking, and consulting services to an array of clients, including local and state government and conservation organizations. Our dedicated, motivated, and highly trained team has experience in all aspects of stream and wetland restoration, watershed planning and assessment, and water quality management. Wildlands Engineering is committed to a watershed and ecosystem approach to ecological restoration and water quality management, and we provide exceptional services to our clients in an uncompromisingly ethical, innovative, and time-sensitive manner.
• Coordinate with project managers, designers and other multi-disciplinary team members to complete project planning, design analysis, sheet and plan set production.
• Assist with linear design for streams using alignments, profiles, and typical sections. Use design to prepare grading and surface modeling in AutoCAD Civil 3D using corridor modeling, and other manual and automated surface modeling grading techniques.
• Assist with permitting, bidding, construction, and as-built phases of projects.
• Assist with technical reports and exhibits to support planning, permitting and design phases of projects.
• Position may offer opportunity to assist with construction management based on applicant experience and interest as well as current level of need.
• Position may offer opportunity to assist with field geomorphic surveys, sediment sampling, and site evaluation.
• Assist with design as-built plan set production.
• Work independently and on teams to complete project tasks in a timely manner with a high standard of quality.
• Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in CAD, Civil Engineering Technology, or equivalent
or professional experience with civil, water resources and/or environmental CAD design. All candidates should have a minimum of 1 year of relevant professional experience.
• Must demonstrate knowledge and experience in AutoCAD Civil 3D generating alignments, profiles, surface and earthwork modeling and with plan production.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
Other Desirable Qualifications
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office including Excel.
• Experience with GIS, permitting and construction management.
• Understanding of civil and/or water resource engineering projects and environmental/natural resource work.
• Experience with the preparation of construction documents including construction plans, erosion control, bid estimates, technical specifications, and technical reporting.
• Experience with hydrologic and/or hydraulic modeling and understanding of open channel flow.
• An understanding of boundary, topographic and conservation easement survey information, and vegetation and ecological processes.
• Part of the job requirements and the physical demands are performed in outdoor weather conditions with frequent exposure to wet/humid conditions, extreme heat or cold and uneven surfaces. Other adverse factors may include exposure to ticks and poison ivy. Lifting supplies or equipment up to 50 lb.
PLEASE SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
Email (preferred method): firstname.lastname@example.org
subject line: AutoCAD Technician (include desired location as “AVL”, “KNOX”, or “AVL/KNOX” if applying for either office)
Mailing Address: 1430 S. Mint Street, Suite 104, Charlotte, NC 28203
The cover letter should identify your previous work experience, why you are interested in this position, your preferred office location, your approximate available start date, and any other information that you feel is important. Please be prepared to provide contact information for two references, if requested.